Let's kick off 2024 by giving a voice to the voiceless. Here at Wilkes Mortgage Group, we love supporting our community and giving back to organizations that make the world a better place, that's the energy we want to bring into the new year. Our mission is not just helping families find their dream homes, but also helping build up our communities for families to thrive in.
Today we are highlighting one of our favorite organizations that we are actively involved in, Warrior for Children. Warrior for Children is a nonprofit organization that uses tangible resources, community-based education, and relational experiences to help children of trauma, heal and thrive. The goal at Warrior for Children is to provide a place to serve children on their healing journey by supporting the three pillars of their mission: We are the voice for the voiceless, the light in the darkness, and difference makers for the brokenhearted littles of the world.
2023 was a difficult year for many. It challenged us and built us up stronger. Personally, I found myself navigating grief, loss, personal, and professional challenges. As the year drew to an end I was searching for a way to make an impact and get involved in giving back. When I discovered Warrior for Children, I was instantly intrigued. They are the perfect small organization that I feel I can truly make a difference with. I became passionate about the cause and mission and immediately connected with founder, Jennifer Corbett and her heart for serving this community.
Warrior for Children: Who They Serve
Warrior for Children provides the little things so caregivers can focus on the big things, educate those who serve and care for these amazing children, and provide safe experiences that are sensitive to the healing process. They currently support a wide array of individuals serving children such as foster/adoptive caregivers, foster family agencies/county-based children and family services, nonprofits serving children/families, child advocates, and family-based rehabilitation centers. Their efforts provide education, and experiences, and give back to children of trauma, of all ages.
Part of Warrior for Children's mission is to provide tangible resources to children who are navigating trauma. By supporting Warrior for Children, you are supporting children of trauma with the resources they need to help them thrive. The needs of these children are met all year long and these donation drives allow the organization to quickly respond to need, no matter what time of year it is. If you are interested in donating, please click here for a complete list of tangible items we keep stocked in our Impact Center, which is available for immediate distribution. You can also order items off their Amazon Wish List by clicking here or the Target Wishlist by clicking here.
Warrior for Children also provides education to those caring for or working with children so they are as equipped and informed as possible to provide the best care and support. They specialize in education that focuses on child trauma, parenting a child of trauma, building resiliency in children and families, as well as caring for the drug-exposed child. These topics include:
- Adverse Childhood Experiences (ACE) and the role Resiliency plays in changing trajectories
- Identifying child abuse and steps to take to report abuse
- Trauma and Autism: Misconceptions about Trauma and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- Diet and Behavior: How the changes in our food system have directly impacted our children's overall health and emotional wellbeing
- Building resiliency in children when their trauma experiences are unknown
- Prenatal Substance Exposure and Its Effects on Development
At Warrior for Children, the vision is to not only provide tangible resources but also a place for children and families to come and learn and create positive experiences. A place not only for children to have fun but also to be in environments with kind grownups that allow them to learn that the world isn't all scary. Some of these experiences include:
- Therapy Farm: Children who have experienced trauma can heal and learn to trust others by spending time with trained therapy animals. These animals can help catalyze the healing process.
- Art: Experiences in the arts such as painting, sculpting, and performing can be extremely therapeutic for children and young adults. Not only can they engage with others, but they can also increase their confidence.
- STEM: STEM experiences not only prepare children for the real world, but they can also offer them a different avenue to express themselves and build knowledge. Working with others in different areas of technology can help children in their healing journey.
- Athletics: Athletics have always been a great way to teach children the importance of hard work and working together. Our athletic experiences will allow children to strengthen not only their bodies but also their souls.
How to Get Involved:
Since working with Warrior for Children, we are able to make a difference in the lives of those who have experienced trauma. We show up, we stand in the gap, and we help trauma survivors move forward and thrive. It has been one of the most fulfilling experiences of my career. Not only is it an amazing cause, but the community is truly unmatched with good people, good vibes, and a place that feels like home.
If you're interested in getting involved with Warrior for Children, you can volunteer, host a resource drive, or sponsor a cause. They welcome all volunteers with open arms. Since Warrior for Children began, they have distributed hundreds of thousands of dollars in tangible resources to those in need. The only way they can do that is through the generosity of others and resource drives that are hosted throughout the year. If you would like to get involved, you can host one at your business, organization, church, or group.
Warrior for Children began because they wanted to cut out the middleman and eliminate the red tape. Kids and families have needs and they want to meet those needs as quickly and easily as possible. By directly sponsoring a cause, you can meet a specific need right now.
Since their inception, Warrior for Children has strived to make a practical impact in the lives of those impacted by trauma. They can't fulfill our mission alone. Please consider joining Wilkes Mortgage Group as we partner up with them on this journey as we aim to make a difference in the hearts of children across the world.