The most important relationship in your life is the relationship you have with yourself. And just like any other relationship, it requires work, attention, and nurturing. With 2022 around the corner, I'm sure we're all trying to find ways to improve in the new year. As cliche as it may sound, life is too short to sit back and not aspire to be the best version of yourself possible. Instead of setting unrealistic resolutions this year, let's instead focus on becoming a better version of you!
Here at Wilkes Mortgage Group, we believe that there is always room for improvement in every area of life. That's what makes this adventure called life so exciting! For those looking for ways to improve who they are as people, how they feel about themselves, and how they can make a better impact on others, consider some of these powerful strategies to become a better version of yourself in 2022!
The first step is to look inward, ask yourself, "Am I acting as my best self?," "What are some ways I could improve?" Self-awareness is the foundation of strong character, giving us the ability to lead with purpose, authenticity, openness, and trust. Being self-aware allows us to better understand our successes and our failures, and grow from there. As you go on this self-love journey, it helps you realize what you need most from other people and in turn, how to show up for the people you love.
Here are 4 ways to become more self-aware:
- Meditate. Meditation is the practice of improving your moment-by-moment awareness. Most forms of meditation begin with focusing on, and appreciating the simplicity of inhaling and exhaling. Meditation doesn't need to be formal or ritualistic, you can make it whatever you want it to be to achieve greater clarity. If you want to take it a step further, ask yourself some tough questions during your meditation.
- Write down your plans and priorities. One of the best ways to increase self-awareness is to write down what you want to achieve and track your progress. This will help you stay on track with your goals in the new year and keep yourself accountable.
- Look to trusted friends and family. The truth is that none of us are fully aware of how we come across to others. That is why we rely on the feedback of our peers to play the role of the "honest mirror." Make them feel comfortable in giving you candid, critical, objective feedback.
- Be accepting of feedback across different areas of your life. It can be difficult to receive constructive feedback, but the more open we are to honest criticism, the more we can improve. Formalized feedback allows us to better see our strengths and weaknesses.
We all want self-awareness. It will help us become better people and leaders, allowing you to grow into the best version of yourself in 2022.
Ask the hard questions.
We always need to make sure we have time to check in with ourselves to evaluate life, goals, and limit our biggest regrets. These tough inner conversations help determine where we are currently in our lives and if we are heading in the right direction of our goals. Be ready to ask yourself, and others, the tough questions. Here are some questions to ask yourself:
- Are you living the life of your dreams?
- What would you do if fear was not a factor and you could not fail?
- Are there any toxic relationships in my life that need to be dealt with?
- Am I too hard on myself or not hard enough?
- Am I a good communicator?
- What am I trying to achieve?
- What am I doing that is working?
- What am I doing that is slowing me down?
- What can I do to change?
- How do I stand out in the age of social media and computers?
- How can I better use my voice?
Answer these questions honestly, the more brutally honest you are, the more positive change you can make in your life.
Listen to your friends, be open to what others have to say.
Building and maintaining strong relationships with people we love and care about should be a top priority in 2022. One of the main keys to a healthy relationship is open communication. Be open to what your friends, family, co-workers, and others in your life have to say. As we mentioned above, be willing to accept honest feedback from others, since none of us are fully aware of how we come across to other people. Be willing to listen, compromise, and see things from a different perspective to help maximize your relationships with others and yourself. Consider listening to a podcast with a different political view than your own, or tuning into a news station you typically wouldn't listen to.
Another strategy is to ask friends to call you out when you are subconsciously doing a behavior you know you want to change. Ask them to let you know discreetly when you do this behavior.
Look at where we put our money.
Most new years' goals are centered around either fitness or finances. Health is multidimensional. We should continually strive to better the ways we take care of our physical, mental, and financial health. As you enter the new year, really pay attention to what you put your money towards.
When it comes to being good with money or doing the right thing with finances, we always assume we just need to know more information, or more facts, or the "right" answer. In all honesty, it's not just about having all the answers. Here are some of our top financial strategies to help you simplify and maximize your finances in 2022:
- Don't overanalyze. We live in the age of information abundance. The fact that we have free access to endless amounts of information and human knowledge that is on the internet is incredible, and it sets us up for success compared to generations before us. However, access to too much information can complicate your financial decisions and cause you to overanalyze even the simplest of decisions. The best advice is to take everything with a grain of salt, start trying things out on your own, and then figure out what works best for you.
- Have financial clarity. Good decisions come from a clear mind that understands: where their goals and priorities lie, and where their financial security lies. Choices about how to use your money will be easier if you know what's truly important to you. What are your core values? What really matters? Why are you trying to earn more money or invest? More money is not the goal, it's what money allows you to do that helps you set your goals and priorities.
- Think long-term. Always think of the big picture when it comes to finances. This will help you set realistic expectations, set smaller short-term goals, and stay motivated when times are tough.
- Build a realistic budget. About 60% of Americans don't have a monthly budget to help manage their finances. Having a flexible budget allows youtube to stay on track with your financial goals while still living your life. After all, you can't manage what you don't measure. Start by listing all of your expected expenses, both fixed and variable expenses. Then figure out how much you will be spending on these expenses each month. Finally, take a look at your overall income and what goes to your fixed expenses, what goes to variable expenses, what goes into savings/investments, and then what you're left with.
Give back and be there for your community.
Our communities across the country have been hit hard over the past two years. Another way to work towards becoming the best version of yourself is to start giving back to your community. Regardless of your current financial status, there are so many ways to give back to others. For one, you can start volunteering your time. You can donate your time to a homeless shelter, assist in job training for those in need, find ways to share your hobbies with others, participate in community events, work with children and local schools, and so much more! Donating your time is often one of the best ways you can help your community. If you find yourself unable to make the time or commitment to volunteer, donations are always needed. You can donate clothes, money, household items, non-perishable food, electronics, toys, or school supplies. Get in touch with your community for ways to get involved today!
Why strive for a better you in the new year? A personal transformation includes physical, mental, and emotional growth. This personal growth brings about emotional maturity and fulfillment and allows us to realize our true potential. In today's day and age, it can be difficult to pause and take a second to act selfishly for your own growth. By taking the time to invest in ourselves and becoming a better you, you are making an effort to let go of all the negativity around you and step into a lighter state of mind. Striving for a better you in the new year is about being grateful for what you have, while also improving yourself wherever you can.
Ready to build the best version of yourself in 2022? We know you can do it!